Warrior 3 is a fun balancing pose that challenges proprioception, coordination, focus and concentration, and strengthens the hips.
- Improves balance.
- Strengthens the feet, ankles, knees, hips, glutes, abs and back.
- Improves core and hip stability.
- Enhances focus and concentration.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, toes pointing straight ahead.
- Shift your weight into your right foot and hug your left knee into your chest.
- Take a deep breath in. Exhale, lean forward, bring your palms together at your chest and press your left foot back. You can keep your standing leg slightly bent. Then reach both arms out in front of you.
- Fix your gaze on a point that isn’t moving to help you keep your balance.
- Flex your left foot and point your toes straight down. Press back through your heel.
- Try to hold the pose for 3-5 deep breaths, in and out through your nose.
- Take a deep breath in. Exhale, come back up to standing for the other side.
- Rest your fingertips on the mat and bend your standing leg as much as you need to. You can bring your hands to blocks if you have tight hamstrings.
- This is my favourite variation of the pose. The key is to try to keep your hips level and your lower back flat.
VARIATION: Praying Warrior 3
VARIATION: Flying Warrior 3
- If you want to get really fancy, you can come into Eagle arms.
- Avoid this pose if you have a foot, leg or hip injury.
MASTER THE POSE