Warrior 2 is a classic yoga pose that opens up and strengthens the hips, and stretches the ankles, calves, hamstrings and groin.
- Strengthens the feet, ankles, legs, knees, hips, glutes, core, arms and shoulders.
- Stretches the calves, hamstrings, groin, chest and shoulders.
- Opens up the hips.
- Can help to alleviate knee pain.
- From Mountain pose, step your left foot towards the back of the mat and turn it in slightly from 90 degrees.
- Line up your front heel with the arch of your back foot, face forwards and bring your arms up to shoulder height.
- Reach through your fingertips and drop your hips. Try to bring your front thigh parallel to the mat.
- Check that your right knee is directly over your right ankle and tracking over your second toe (facing forwards).
- Press back through your left foot to keep your back leg engaged.
- Make sure that your upper body is not leaning forward or back—stack your ribcage on top of your pelvis.
- Hold the pose for 3-5 breaths, in and out through your nose.
- Take a deep breath in. Exhale, step to the top of the mat and switch sides.
- Avoid this pose if you have a foot, hip, lower back or shoulder injury.
MASTER THE POSE