Reclining Butterfly is a restorative hip opener that focuses on stretching the groin and releasing tension at the lower back.
- Externally rotates the hips.
- Stretches the groin, adductors, hamstrings, knees, chest, shoulders and triceps.
- Can help to alleviate upper and lower back pain.
- Relieves stress.
- Lie on your back, bring the soles of your feet together and let your knees fall open in the shape of a diamond.
- Bring your arms up overhead and take hold of opposite elbows.
- Completely relax into the pose, allowing gravity to open up your hips.
- Hold for 3-5 minutes, breathing in and out through your nose.
- To come out of the pose, bring your hands to your knees and gently lift them back to centre.
- If your hips are tight, you can put cushions under your knees for support.
- Avoid this pose if you have a hip injury.
MASTER THE POSE