Eagle is an advanced balancing pose that strengthens the hips and quads, and stretches the glutes, IT band, TFL, upper back and shoulders.
- Stretches the upper back, shoulders, wrists, glutes, piriformis, IT band, TFL, knees and ankles.
- Strengthens the feet, ankles, legs, adductors, hips and core.
- Improves balance and coordination.
- Enhances focus and concentration.
- Stand with your feet hip-width apart, toes pointing straight ahead.
- Bend your knees, cross your right leg over the left and wrap your right foot behind your left calf. Your left knee should point straight ahead.
- Stretch your arms out to the sides, cross your right arm over the left, bend your elbows, wrap your forearms and try to bring your palms together.
- Drop your hips and lift your elbows to feel a stretch across your upper back.
- Relax any tension in your neck and shoulders.
- Try to hold the pose still for 3-5 deep breaths, in and out through your nose.
- Carefully release the pose and switch sides.
- If you can’t tuck your foot behind your calf, rest your toes on the mat for balance.
- If you can’t wrap your arms around twice, you can touch the backs of your hands together.
- Avoid this pose if you have an ankle, knee, wrist or shoulder injury.
MASTER THE POSE