Dead Pigeon is a key pose for mountain bikers, to stretch the glutes, TFL, piriformis and external hip rotators, and alleviate lower back pain.
- Stretches the glutes, TFL, piriformis, external hip rotators, groin, hamstrings, knees and ankles.
- Releases tension at the the lower back.
- Can help to alleviate lower back pain.
- Lie on your back with your knees bent, feet flat on the mat.
- Rest your right ankle on your left knee.
- Thread your hand through the triangle between your legs and hold the back of your left thigh with both hands. Gently pull your leg in towards you.
- Relax your neck and shoulders.
- Press your left elbow against your inner thigh to increase the stretch in your outer hip. And reach through to take hold of your shin if you have the flexibility.
- Hold the pose for 2-5 minutes, breathing in and out through your nose.
- Release the pose and switch sides.
- Avoid this pose if you have a knee or hip injury.
MASTER THE POSE